Gates Scholarship 2023 is open to apply for all eligible students. The Gates Scholarships, established by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, are prestigious and highly competitive scholarships.
Every year, we award these Scholarships to exceptional students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievements, leadership qualities, and a commitment to making a positive impact in their communities and the world.
Table of Contents
- About Gates Scholarships
- Benefits of Gates Scholarships
- Eligibility to apply for Gates Scholarship
- Ideal Candidate
- Gates Scholarship Application Timeline
- How to Apply for Gates Scholarship 2023
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid – FAFSA
About Gates Scholarships
The Gates Scholarships launched in 2017 as an expansion of the Gates Millennium Scholars program, which established in 1999. The program aims to support talented, low-income minority students in their pursuit of higher education.
Through the Gates Millennium Scholars program, the Gates Foundation invested over $1.6 billion in scholarships, mentoring, and support services to help thousands of students achieve their educational goals.
The Gates Scholarships continue this legacy of empowering exceptional students to unlock their full potential.
Benefits of Gates Scholarships
Gates Scholars receive numerous benefits that support their educational journey and personal development.
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university, do not already cover.
The cost of attendance includes the following:
- Room expenses,
- Board expenses,
- Books, and
- Transportation expenses
NOTE: Please note that the cost of attendance may include other personal costs as well.
Eligibility to apply for Gates Scholarship
Following is the list of eligibility criteria, a student must meet to apply for Gates Scholarship:
- The student must be a high school senior,
- From at least one of the following ethnicities:
- American Indian/Alaska Native*,
- Asian & Pacific Islander American,
- and/or Hispanic American
- Must be a US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Additionally, a student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
Note: Proof of tribal enrollment is required for students of American Indian/Alaska Native ethnicities.
Following is the requirements from an Ideal candidate eligible for Gates Scholarships
- Must have an outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Should demonstrate leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Must have exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
Gates Scholarship Application Timeline
Following is the application timeline of Gates Scholarships:
- The opening date of Gates Scholarships application is July 15 every year.
- The deadline to apply for Gates Scholarship is on September 15 every year.
- After the scholarship applications are reviewed, semifinalists are contacted in the month of December or January
- The finalists interviews takes place in March and scholars are selected in the month of April.
- Scholars will be awarded with Gates Scholarships in July – September in time for the fall semester.
How to Apply for Gates Scholarship 2023
All interested and eligible candidates can apply for the Gates Scholarship by visiting the online application portal.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid – FAFSA
The federal government provides financial aid to college students in the form of grants, work-study jobs, and/or student loans.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Opens on October 1st of every year.
This Student Aid is administered by the Office of Federal Student Aid. So, completing this form is critical!
- It is the only way to qualify for federal financial assistance of any type,
- You must submit it, in order to apply for The Gates Scholarship!
To apply for FAFSA, visit fafsa.gov website.
Students who meet the eligibility criteria can easily get the Gates Scholarships. It is not hard as it seems, with good GPA and academic record, one can easily get Gates Scholarship.
To apply for Gates Scholarships, students must have a household income of $80,000 or less per year.
The students selected for the Gates Scholarships will receive funding for the full cost of attendance to earn a bachelor’s degree that other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university, do not already cover.
A minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent) in good academic standing is required to be eligible to be apply for Gates scholarships.
Gates Scholarship is legit because, it is launched in 2017 as an expansion of the Gates Millennium Scholars program, which established in 1999. The program aims to support talented, low-income minority students in their pursuit of higher education.
The deadline to apply for Gates Scholarship 2023 is September 15.
The Gates Scholarships 2023 opens from July 15.
Around 300 students win Gates Scholarship every year. All these scholars receive funding for the full cost of attendance to earn a bachelor’s degree.